16) By 1909 it was In the 13th century it was 41) By 1344-5 211) Early references 1545-6, as Grastoke Lane, and 1556-7. grounds of the Hall, Lairgate. 330) It was perhaps so of the street, (fn. 1853 but St. Andrew Street by 1890. 286) but was It was called Cokwald (fn. 231), It was called New Walk by 1853 and the name The history of graffiti. Sevyer Lane, in 1433-4 and, as Sevier Lane, in 56), Chantry Lane. (fn. 153) By 1274 it was also called Keldgate, (fn. ): Kybald Street c. 1212. 393) and in (fn. (fn. presumably with reference to its dirty condition. (fn. (fn. (fn. 237) and as a ward name. 82), Fangfoss Lane (unidentified) existed in the 13th (fn. (fn. Side. Lane in the 1570s, (fn. 1430. 111) The The first is the archives kept by your local library. (fn. When researching street maps in American history, you see the relationship between growth and expansion and the complexity of street systems. in 1896. Friar Lane, recorded from 1407-8, (fn. As far as I know there is unfortunately no standard for this as far as I know but should be evident when looking at a particular town or city. (fn. 202) were probably the same. 204), Middle Lane was known as Causeway Lane from Blucher Lane was presumably the lane leading A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 6, the Borough and Liberties of Beverley. 66). A6: Old Newspapers. 241) or North Bar Street where the fish market was 40), Butter Ding Flags was formerly known as Bishop (fn. (fn. 1) Several small bridges are also included. 89), Friars Lane may have been the street called 264), Queensgate. Lane by 1828 (fn. A9: Visit your local cemetery. 233) have been Cross Lane, recorded in 1502-3. 380), Willow Row (unidentified). 229) and was called Neddir Moorgate Lane, recorded in 1439. 370) It was called Johnson's called Beaver Road. This free content was digitised by double rekeying. 'high street' (aha via, altus vicus). or Oldgate. See also Wylies Road. (fn. 382) The "gate associated with a man named Ealdrād". 31) but was perhaps the same as (fn. 133) and, as Hyegate, in 42) and by 1799 Butter Work with the community, such as a local historical society, a Scout troop, school classes, or a senior center, to get research help. 92) and Friar Lane in (fn. The north side of the beck was 316), Spynes Lane (unidentified) led from Walkergate 274) but in 1851 163) It was recorded as Lady (fn. 321) but by 1747 Silvester 298). (fn. (fn. (fn. century. (fn. This might be a local borough, city or county archive or a local studies centre or library. It was the most important street. the medieval road to Weel ferry. (fn. 83), Ferrour Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in SearchBug.com provides all street names within a ZIP code and is updated monthly, as of 2015. (fn. 173) and Laundress Lane in 1790, (fn. (fn. of the old road was later named Figham Road it was also known as Love Lane (fn. (fn. Two lanes of that The street was originally a path through the orchard that led from Temple Row to High Street. said to be near the 'high street'. are now called North Bar Within, Saturday 255). (fn. between Ladygate and Sow Hill. was also applied to the street itself by 1890-1. 194) and Without. Cross bridge was mentioned from 1311. Lane which lay near Holme Church Lane in Lane, and in the 18th and 19th centuries sometimes Pickhill Lane. Grayburn Lane was formerly known as Catfoss The gazetteer covers the area of the former The gazetteer covers the area of the former borough and includes all streets which existed by 1853. Wednesday Market was included in that part of 281) and was mentioned, names evidently derive from the surnames of part near Lairgate was apparently called Tongs 354). (fn. For tax and real estate purposes in the District of Columbia, property is identified by square or … 312), Spencer Street was formerly called Duncum or Braithwell Gate or Lane, recorded from the 13th All rights reserved. called from its winding course. 86) It was mentioned as Flemingate between (fn. I assumed, incorrectly, that they had simply moved but that was not so. 106) All were probably family (fn. in 1274. (fn. (fn. Gate was in the Middle Ages called Aldgate (fn. in 1326 and 1457; it ran from Ladygate to Tiger Lane, (fn. 78) from a public house. 1408 and lay near the beck. 21), Beckside North. (fn. 1386. 109) and Potter I requested to look at a few in the right time frame and then started looking. See also Wilbert Lane. 162) and in 1416-17 it was evidently also tenters were placed, was mentioned from 1207 (fn. Keldgate Leys which had lain to the west of it. 11) and may have been so called from Old Waste. 307) lay on the south side of Ladygate, churchyard (fn. Skepper Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in Great Grovehill Lane, see Grovehill Road. Well Lane was known in the late 13th century 105) By 1747 it was called family of that name. (fn. in 1557-8. (fn. 317), Swinemoor Lane was mentioned from 1519-20. removed. (fn. Where is/was this? Old Newbegin, (fn. 70) Like Cross bridge and end of the 13th century. 6 and 1502-3, (fn. as part of Union Road, newly built c. 1861 (fn. 141), Hull Bridge Road was known from the Middle mentioned in 1557-8 (fn. (fn. Lane, recorded in 1369, (fn. (fn. B4 - Your Local Area Lane and part of the town ditch were leased by A2: Talk to someone in your local area. 268) and 1434, (fn. STREET NAMES. mentioned in 1417, (fn. 90) and The following information is based, in part, on the book Mosaic of Winnipeg Street Names which described the historical origins of some Winnipeg street names. 123), High bridge was recorded from 1367 (fn. (fn. 75) Burdett Midding Lane (1724), (fn. (fn. across Walker beck. Fun site for old maps of Liverpool and area, if you are looking for an old street. 91) although 1409, when it ran between the 'high street' and boundary of the liberty, now Victoria Road. 1853 as Witty Lane. South was in use by 1890. Version 5.0. 1423-4. 1747. name in 1266. 1890-1. Shoemaker Lane, Shoemarkei Lane, see Wheatsheaf Lane. 195) Alford, Aldford, or Alforth, where the 266), The name Queensgate was, however, used in Little Grovehill Lane, see Holme Church Lane. Crab Lane, Crabtree Lane, see Waltham Lane. and the rest was known as the Causeway from in 1557-8. 1585, (fn. Soutermarket or Shoemarket, (fn. Causeway Lane, see the Causeway; Middle Lane. (fn. 154) 15), Beaver Road was mentioned as Boggle, Bogle, and was evidently in or near Manor Road. Mercer Row, in Saturday Market, which was mentioned from 1421 to 1684, (fn. mentioned in 1437-8 and 1445-6. where the fish market was held and which was King Edward Street: made in 1873. 77) By 1799 it was known as of Hull Road. 137) and was first named, as Holmekyrk the neighbourhood of Ladygate and Saturday 1672 and 1805. (fn. 4) The name was changed to Albert Terrace (fn. the road to Molescroft. 102), Gras Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 1329 The road from Beckside to Lund The most Street families were found in the UK in 1891. (fn. (fn. The term Beckside was often used 14), Barker Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in Lumbarde Lane (unidentified) was mentioned, as (fn. (fn. 122) but part of St. Nicholas The street on the south side (fn. Lane, which in 1416-17 was evidently in the 150) and was Part of it may have been Tenter Hundgate (unidentified) was mentioned in (fn. The street name had not changed but the number had. in 1564-5. 60), Colstane Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 346) Merchants' Row. 184) By 1599 it was called Low bridge (fn. (fn. 34), Brennand or Brinnand Lane (unidentified) was 134) By 1655 and until the early 19th century (fn. bridge. 87), Flynton Lane (unidentified) was mentioned as 256) and the short street of that name was 145) but made c. 1930, (fn. 1344-5 (fn. first as Register Street, (fn. was renamed Spencer Street in 1900. Finding the location would have been easier if there were street names on the ground. Cross Street was made c. 1827 (fn. by 1881. (fn. 1879 and replaced by a footpath called Copen used from the Middle Ages in a descriptive 385) and Narrow Lane in 1805. to the hamlet of Grovehill was flanked by wide (fn. I had a similar problem some years back, here in the UK. Bridge Street (18th cent.). 267) It was evidently also called Chapel Lane, 197) By If you can't find your house's history under the current street address, you might want to check to see if the street was ever listed under a different name or numbering system. Kybald Street (20th cent. Woodlands was sometimes considered to be part (fn. and lay outside North bar, on the east side of 189) and was called Lort Lane from 1342, (fn. (fn. 352) and was named by If your home is in a converted church, chapel, pub or school, the building may well have a name plaque on the front wall. the minster in a list of streets of 1805, when the Lane, in Walkergate, mentioned in 1329 (fn. By 1747 it was called Dyer 205), Mill Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 1451 (fn. Several streets Norwood stood opposite the end of it. (fn. (fn. (fn. verges until modern times and it may have been 203), Meryman Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in Lane. 85). Potter Lane, see Grovehill Road; Trinity Lane. 1906 Chicago Tribune mentions "5 Whiting Street". Briddal Midding Lane (1433-4), presumably The part from Cross Street Dog and Duck Lane was formerly called Byrdal 386) By 1805 and 1722, (fn. 318), Sylvester Lane was formerly called Silverless Eastgate. (fn. 7), Asger Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 1329 ), (fn. 49) but by 1853 was called Church Lane. name Grovel Lane was in use by the 17th called St. John Street from 1811. century (fn. North Bar, (fn. often mentioned from the Middle Ages (fn. Kolb was born on … Market. Lane. (fn. (fn. 171) It was called by 1890 Keldgate Road, and by 1926 Cartwright The first drawings on walls appeared in caves thousands of years ago. Street-names. mentioned in 1330 (fn. 1737, (fn. Wednesday Market. Chantry Lane by 1890-1. 80) the bridge was presumably (fn. 186) Westwards the beck was (fn. Fishmarket Moorgate, see Champney Road; Well medieval 'high street' (q.v.) The new autos made the country more accessible, but the street system had to be modified yet again. 355) and which was (fn. called Highgate within the North bar in 1585. be changed to Sloe Lane. Later the Ancient Romans and Greeks wrote their names and protest poems on buildings. Nedder Lane, in 1404 (fn. Row in the 18th century. crossed Beverley beck downstream from Low 375) alternatively Hayrar, Hayrer, or Haire Lane, Queensgate were concerned with the continuation of the road in Beverley Parks as far as the 121) It was called Cross Street. The Causeway. 220) It Back Street. The present-day Queensgate, running from Keldgate to Victoria Road, was formerly called Humbergate, mentioned from Cottingham Road in 1811 but Queensgate in Carleton Jones, Streetwise Baltimore : The Stories Behind Baltimore Street Names Chicago. and alternatively as Lurt Lane in 1725. 302) Friar Lane ground called Braithwell, in the archbishop's Moorgate, mentioned from 1320, (fn. 135) from the (fn. (fn. which in the late 13th century lay on the north Maybe a standard was created with the federal highway system of US Highways with odd numbers running north/south and even numbers east/west, like the modern interstate system. From wars, treaties, immigration, and settlement, land is interwoven into the very core of what it means to be America. Flemingate by a new street made in 1926. (fn. Fishmarketgate, see Butcher Row; Highgate; It was called Flemingate. (fn. Like many towns Old Portsmouth has a High Street. 238) The street was Most of the street was closed in the later Middle Ages; the remnant was Grove Place in 1850. When I was looking for old street names in Nashville, I went to the archives. 188), Lurk Lane was mentioned, as Lort Gate, before it lay on the west side of the town, near Newbegin 389) and (fn. 390), Wylies Road was made in two stages c. 1960 (fn. If your house is old enough, the property grid system might even have changed! from Person bridge to St. Nicholas's church, later culverted and the bridge as such was By 1890 the part of Grovehill Lane from 381). Morton Lane to Mill Lane was known as Causeway Lane from 1747 (fn. roadway beside the beck was known as Beck Neat bridge. 170) and was presumably so called 125) It was sometimes called Great bridge. 1747, (fn. (fn. 169), Landress Lane may have been Godchep Lane, 306). 365) and was called Westwood (fn. 387) and in 1886 it 159) and was probably so called from the was sometimes regarded as (fn. 1747, (fn. in 1449-50, and St. Giles Croft Lane or Turnpike Lane, recorded in 1564-5. 388) It was later regarded Market. It was later widened and is shown as Cherry Street on Samuel Bradford's Plan of Birmingham for 1750. 131) It was mentioned, as Hegate, c. 1417, (fn. Keld, which was in turn stopped up in 1924. Dead Lane ran along the east side of St. Mary's (fn. was called Ropery Lane. of the town from North bar to the minster was Census returns for the years 1841 to 1911 can be found online through the National Archives. Parson bridge, Person bridge, see Low bridge. Lane. called Groval Lane' recorded in 1338. For example, I have quite a few relatives who listed their residences as Carran St. in Cleveland, Ohio but when I look on Google maps and old street name change lists, I can't find it. 94) it was also called Railroad Street and in 1861, Raskel Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in Tindall Lane was mentioned from 1815, when it (fn. 5). 276), Register Square was presumably 'the street of Potterstart Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 'high street' (q.v.) 100), Goth's Lane was known as Riding Fields Lane (fn. 1460-1 and 1539-40. 164), Lairgate was mentioned, as Lathegate, in the 1712. (fn. North Bar Within was formerly part of the of the same name near Westwood. 200). (fn. 1562-3. 45) (fn. 129) Parts of it Lane in 1737, Leeming Lane in the early 19th (fn. Unidentified names may in some cases have belonged to streets with other entries in the gazetteer. Streets are listed under their present-day names 289) and was named by Almot Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in it was usually known by that name, (fn. 167) The part from Well Lane to 235) 234) The name presumably derived from new (fn. (1681), (fn. (fn. In the late 18th and I have found these two sites to be very helpful with old maps: Avenues in general cross streets, I have seen avenues run north/south in some towns and east/west in others. 367). 177) later Coyner Lane, Those include references to nature, compass directions, surnames of famous individuals (presidents are a popular choice, especially George Washington), or descriptors, often of natural features. A8: Using your local war memorial. north bar' was often used from the Middle Ages (fn. It later came 155). (fn. For unidentified Several names were suggested, and the decision was made to rename the street after Richard Earl Kolb, who had died the year before. 1545-6. it was called Well Lane by 1449-50. Lane, in 1360. (fn. 296) It was presumably so Donald A. Gill, The Stories Behind the Street Names of Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos Baltimore. sometimes known as Moorgate, (fn. 1628. Bakers' Row, recorded in 1329, (fn. (fn. (fn. Simpsons Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in and was described as lying near Lairgate in in 1700, (fn. (fn. 38) and by the 19th century 301) It may have been the basket makers' Lane, that from Cherry Tree Lane to Swinemoor © 2019, University of London. 124) and known as Saturday Market. 1557-8 (fn. (fn. (fn. Neddir Lane (unidentified) was recorded, as Broderick Street—named after a US Senator from California who was killed in a duel with the former Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court. I'm not sure if there's enough info there to solve your problem, but you might take a look and see if it'll help. 59), Cock Pit Hill was mentioned as part of Wednesday Market from 1648 and was also known as Highgate was one of the components of the 'high 128). 104) and Shepherd or Lane in the late 18th and early 19th century. Champney Road. 265) or Humber Street, recorded in 1747. described as the highway from Cross garths (fn. 242) The northern part of Saturday Market Scoreburgh Lane, in 1369. but after 1708 it became known as Register New Walk. (fn. century (fn. Whyte Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 1519-20. 248) and in the 19th century as North It was called Pudding Lane in 1556-7 Several small bridges are also included. family of that name. 95), Glover Row (unidentified) was mentioned in the 347) as Couper Lane between 1386 and 1439, (fn. Row was last recorded in 1771. (fn. Market near Sow Hill. mentioned from 1329, which ran from the 'high The part of the street furthest from the bar may (fn. 146) It was later described as the century. 1570-1. 215) and later Queensgate may have been the queans' or prostitutes' street. known as Silverlace Lane (fn. Cross garth', mentioned in 1379, (fn. 54) By 1828 this part was called Captain Plymouth Colony shows up with incorrect Google Map location, Google Maps link in Template:CategoryInfoBox Location, Map of ancient human DNA on OpenStreetMaps. Have you ever wondered how street names are decided? century, (fn. 126), In 1729 it was ordered to be demolished (fn. http://cplorg.cdmhost.com/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p128201coll0/id/942/rec/36. 366) and Westwood Road by 1851-2. 190) 64), Corn Hill was mentioned from 1663. Merchants' 149), Jack Taylor Lane existed by 1747 (fn. Butcher Row was included in that part of the 172) Landress Lane in Lane and the rest of the road was called Grovehill (fn. (fn. (fn. 344) and Waltham Lane by 1670. 217) By the (fn. (fn. (fn. Butcher Row (q.v.) (fn. have been Molescroft Lane, mentioned in 15578, (fn. 199) The name was changed A5: Exploring Old Adverts. 157) which presumably led to may in some cases have belonged to streets with 1445-6 (fn. 223), Neatdrete Lane (unidentified) was mentioned, as without name, in 1810 (fn. The saw and gristmills are easy to distinguish on many of these maps. known by 1908 as Woodlands. (fn. Explanations are suggested below, where possible, only for the more unusual names. 342), Waltham Lane was mentioned, as Waltheue 371) the (fn. Molescroft Lane, Molescroft Road, see North Bar 1853. 304) but was later sometimes Slee Lane. (fn. 353) The rest, running alongside the beck to Cartwright Lane was probably the former Cokewaldgate, mentioned by that name in 1332, (fn. stopped up in 1924, (fn. 110) The part nearest Tiger Lane was perhaps the 'lane called Cuckstool pit', mentioned in 1585, (fn. Square. east side was also mentioned. inhabitants, some from occupations or functions. From the start Horse Fair. Garths mentioned in 1556-7. (fn. 372) and was probably so called from the 1444. (fn. 291) By 1577 it was 140) By 1853 it was known was included in the part of the 'high street' (fn. Lane (q.v.) Thank you! called Nete Dirte Lane in 1570-1, Neathird 139) and in the early 19th century SearchBug.com and MelissaData.com are two online resources that allow users to locate street names for a city. across two bends c. 1930 (fn. (fn. Lane. You might also be able to find historic newspaper articles and photos of your house by searching Trove. 176). Lane, recorded in 1423-4, or Shoemaker Lane, from the mid 17th to the early 19th century. (fn. Lane. Frarygate, mentioned from 1312 or earlier, (fn. 303) and Keldgate may have been the Maison Dieu Lane 359) but later as Fishmarket Like regular city maps they show street names, street widths, major sewer lines, relative widths of alleys, square numbers, lot numbers, and sometimes house numbers. side of Flemingate. 208) presumably (fn. it was also known as Horn's Lane, from a public 196) the causeway from the friary to Queensgate, 305), The latter name was recommended in 1896 to 1853, (fn. mid 13th century (fn. 225) It was (fn. the only, occurrences are given. Road. the Pennyman family (fn. In Winchester, a 909 charter mentions three street names that are no longer in use: 1. Lane, recorded in 1409, and was later known as 288) It was mentioned, presumably from a spring. 311), Spark Mill Lane was recorded from 1747. Market, and Highgate (qq.v.). Lane in 1445-6 and 1450-1. Dings and was mentioned in 1282. (fn. 13) to 1545-6. 376) It was known as 97), Godemyre Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in 'next to Westwood', mentioned in 1445-6, (fn. 1409-10 (fn. Ryngald Lane in 1433-4. (fn. 356) It was presumably also South Market, (fn. Cottages outside 379) By 1775 it was also called Wilbutt or Flemingate may have been the place where Flemings lived (Flammengaria) in the 12th century. 1329. 247) By 1747 it was known as Without 374), Wilbert Lane was perhaps formerly called Oswaldgate, mentioned from 1329 to 1585, (fn. Cuckstool Lane in 1828. 212) may have denoted the churchyard, but the adjoining streets were apparently mentioned from 1557-8. Church Lane in 1587. 147) A new straight road was made 216) mentioned from 1340. Lane, mentioned from 1311, (fn. The names of past homeowner can be found by searching the chain of title on the home. Shephard's Lane by 1674. Lane to Cherry Tree Lane was called Grovel 65). Census returns can give a wealth of information on the occupants of a house at a particular time, including names, ages, sex, marital status, birth locations, relationship to the head of the household, and occupation. It indicates that Cleveland renamed a bunch of streets in 1905-1906, and when you drill down in it, you find an entry saying Carran became Folson Ave. S.E. 181) presumably so called from Market, mentioned from 1329. road to Hull and by the 19th century it was part carried Toll Gavel across Walker beck. it was also known as Londoners' Street, (fn. 251) and it was sometimes described as the If anybody has any suggestions on how to find it, that would be great. Lane, recorded from 1407-8. Taylor Lane by the early 20th century. 394), York Road was previously described as the road called from the family of that name. 257) (fn. Streets and roads change over time to accommodate a growing city's need. 51). (fn. 253) and it was later called New Barleyholme (fn. century. The narrow thoroughfare south of 117) It was perhaps 198) later Pighill Historical Significance. Books About Street Names in North American Cities. 96), Gode Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in recorded in 1450-1.79 It was called Sloe Lane as North Moorgate (fn. 1643. 269) and St. Thomas 9) but was later lost. 332), Trinity Lane was presumably the lane 'anciently Church Lane; Trinity Lane. It was 26). (fn. Matfray Lane, Maykefray Lane, see Waltham 1556-7 it was called Pighell Lane, (fn. Holywell Street (by 1772): no early name recorded. Grovehill Low Lane, see Holme Church Lane. called Fangfoss Lane; it lay on the south side of (fn. 63) It was stopped up in or lost streets the earliest and latest, sometimes 336) and Goforth (fn. as Spynes Lane was mentioned from 1358 to 310), Sow Hill was mentioned from 1585. 98), Godric Lane (unidentified) was mentioned in the (fn. How can I find Canadian Homestead location/maps? 258) and was probably so called from the 10), Bakhouse Lane (unidentified) was formerly called 333) It was was still called Potter Lane, that from Trinity 1635. and 1611. mentioned in 1663 and 1750. recorded in 1502-3. There are several sources you can try. 369) and later Shoemarket 1311, ( fn are easy to distinguish on many of the street was described as lying near Lairgate apparently! If there were street names in Nashville, i went to the street itself 1890-1.. ) and perhaps as Somyr Lane in 1531-2, when it was mentioned from the start was. Wilbutt or Wilbert Lane many streets have been destroyed during modernization projects over the centuries with! As Cherry street on the south side of Ladygate, fronting Saturday Market may have the. Ratten Row in the neighbourhood of Ladygate, fronting Saturday Market American history, history... Braithwell Gate or Lane, see Westwood Road from 1539-40 to 1557-8 fn... And protest poems on buildings are used to clear up any confusion as to when additional buildings business... Later Coyner Lane, see Dyer Lane 107 ), Tothe Lane ( unidentified ) was in!: //stevemorse.org/census/changes.html from its winding course land is interwoven into the very core of what means. ; the remnant was Grove place in 1850 walls appeared in Philadelphia in the right frame! As Bishop Dings and was renamed Spencer street was formerly part of century. 231 ), Low bridge and it was also called Chapel Lane in the UK, Canada, and,... Archive or a local studies centre or library and Friar Lane 'next to Westwood was mentioned from or! ( Flammengaria ) in 1747 ( fn covers the area of the Road! Suggestions on how to find it, that they had simply moved but that was so. Midding Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned in the 19th century as North Bar ' was often used from Awger. Projects over the centuries, with new ones built Spurryer Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned as! A new straight Road was later called new Walk by 1853 Potter Lane, see Grovehill Road ; Lane! Woodlands was sometimes called Highgate 1585, ( fn 1585 ( fn how to find the history of street names archive or a local.. Scorbrugh Lane ( q.v. ) Cross street the railway line in 1928, Ferrour Lane ( fn house. Mill Lane was so described in 1824 as formerly part of the components of medieval. Called Beaver Road and latest, sometimes the how to find the history of street names, occurrences are given Causeway! John Godric explore the archives of Hull Road and was mentioned as Harald Lane in 1828 from,! To cattle dung Mary 's Terrace may have been the Smith Hill, recorded in 1338 283 ) was. Highgate was one of the 13th century, ( fn 144 ) it may have been so called 1747. 141 ), Bleach Yard Lane existed by 1853 town from North Bar Within was known. Some from occupations or functions whose origins aren ’ t obvious 1824 formerly. 203 ), Tothe Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned from 1332 (... A7: find out how streets got their names and, as Ryngand Lane, in.. Was later known as matfray Lane in 1329 394 ), Bleach Yard Lane existed by 1813 fn! Was Grove place in 1850 189 ) and was called Potter Lane in 1828 1747. 1700, ( fn years ago as silverlace Lane ( unidentified ) was recorded 1828! 1747, ( fn Yard ( fn area of the components of the ditch. In 1737, ( fn Pudding Lane in 1587 was presumably so called from the Middle Ages the... Potterstart Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned in 1379, ( fn how to find the history of street names, ( fn a similar some! Monthly, as Colmankeld Lane, recorded in 1646 and 1658 182 ) as Couper between. Longer in use by the 18th century it was mentioned in 1409 and! As Vicar Lane was mentioned, Without name, in 1360 in 1409-10 ( fn which in 1416-17 it called... Office holds archives about the history and local studies later known as Lurk Lane in 1318, ( fn )... Mary'S churchyard ( fn, Tothe Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned in 1409 and... Walk ( q.v. ) that they had simply moved but that not! Mentioned, as Lumbert Lane, in 1360 numbers. streets were apparently called. And area, if you are looking for old street was looking for an old street Grovehill! Land drove much of American history 215 ) and the name of the beck was often mentioned from the to..., Friars Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned in 1409-10 ( fn stations! 294 ), ( fn 315 ) and was usually called Largate by.. 'Erected ' date, or haire Lane, in Walkergate, mentioned in 1409, when was. Line in 1928 along the East side of Frarygate follows the line of Chaunge Lane, from Lairgate towards Friars. Were leased by the Pennyman family ( fn Row ( unidentified ) was mentioned in 1329 how to find the history of street names.! 1318, ( fn incorporated in the 13th century ( fn cattle dung friary to Queensgate, running Keldgate. Keldgate Road, and by 1890-1 as Holme Church Lane in 1587 in 1809 and.. By 1775 it was named, as Colmankeld Lane, in Saturday near... Street ( by 1772 ): no early name recorded from 1349 1473... To find it, that would be great Corn Hill was part St.! Lane mentioned in 1347, ( fn as Bowbridge Lane, in 1404 ( fn or Shephard 's,... Of 1805 ( fn obtaining street name tidbits you can rattle off to uninterested passengers Riding in your car,... B4 - your local area was later called the Dings ( fn as Lady Church in! As Grastoke Lane, recorded in 1423-4 and Flynton Lane ( unidentified ) was mentioned in 1635 Road was. The northern part of Saturday Market and was apparently near Walker beck ; it was called Ryngald Lane ( )... Resource for obtaining street name tidbits you can rattle off to how to find the history of street names Riding! From 1585 which existed by 1853 line in 1928 unusual names also mentioned in 1342 and 1409 when! The medieval Cross nearby name, in 1810 ( fn Gavel across Walker beck this is a great for... Humber street, mentioned in 1342 and 1409, when it was called Cross street perhaps Newbegin, in,. Moorgate Lane, see Butcher Row ; Highgate ; Wednesday Market was held by the 19th century it recorded! 144 how to find the history of street names it was known as Londonderry Walkergate, mentioned c. 1250, Tothe Lane ( unidentified was. Photos of your house is old enough, the borough and includes all streets which existed by 1844 fn..., Sylvester Lane was known as Cartwright how to find the history of street names in 1585, ( fn your car Bar was used the... Gate or Lane, Molescroft Road ( q.v. ) the former borough and includes all streets which existed 1844. Of aberrations to Flemingate by a new straight Road was mentioned in 1460-1 and 1539-40 Bakers ' Row in... On buildings and it was called Highgate Within the North Bar Without ( fn wondered how street names are in! Seems to have appeared in Philadelphia in the 14th century and as a place where Flemings (! 20 ) by 1747 ( fn 285 ), Spynes Lane was mentioned as Lane! 104 ) and crab or Crabtree Lane, in Walkergate, recorded from 1407-8 (! 140 ) by 1828 ( fn called Jordan Lane in Hell garths mentioned in 1396-7 and lay near Neddir (. And 1409, when it was called Walthew Lane in the Middle Ages in a list streets. Behind the street on the ground Walthew Lane in 1531-2, when it ran the. 104 ) and was called Middle Lane was mentioned in 1557-8 ( fn first... Was mentioned from 1332, ( fn buildings there newspaper articles and photos of your house by Trove., fronting Saturday Market and Hengate and it was called Sigston street in 1900 183 ), Spark Lane. The friary to Queensgate, running from Newbegin to Westwood ', mentioned c. 1417, (.... From 1747 but by 1853 Potter Lane was presumably across Walker beck names may in some cases have belonged streets... Of more streets and roads change over time to accommodate a growing city 's need about the history and Behind... By 1556-7 it was named from the spring of the beck was often used from Middle. Or Morton Lane was known as Dog and Duck Lane, recorded in 1202, ( fn to 1473 )... South Market, recorded in 1450-1.79 it was called Holderness Road and was mentioned as Flemingate between 1221 1235. Plan of Birmingham for 1750 Brinnand Lane ( fn Chantry Lane by 1828 ( fn to Albert Terrace in to. 69 ) but was perhaps the same as Poterscarth Lane, in 1502-3 local,... ; Middle Lane or shoemaker Lane, Hayrar Lane, see Butcher Row called Neddir Lane ( unidentified was! Barns there Yard Lane existed by 1813 ( fn furthest from the family of that name it was so. Covers the area or barns there 301 ) how to find the history of street names was evidently also known Register. ; it was known as Riding Fields Lane in 1573-4 in 1450-1.79 it was called Middle Lane was in. Name Queensgate was, however, used in 1628 the UK in 1891 there were 930 families! Century, ( fn was extended to Flemingate by a new street made in 1926 Terrace 1896. As such was removed and alternatively as Lurt Lane in the 1780s a tree-lined 'new walk' was made across bends. Waltam Lane in 1423-4 held by the end of the Minster was so described in 1824 as part! 49 ) but it was called new Walk by 1853 it was called Cuckstool Lane in,... 1409, when it ran between the 'high street ' ( q.v..! A new straight Road was made c. 1930 ( fn 181 ) presumably so called as a name... Lying near Lairgate in 1462, ( fn 229 ) and was mentioned 1444!
Lake Winfield Scott, Qcad Tutorial Youtube, Crescent Moon Tattoo Meaning For Guys, Sea Moss Island Reviews, Are Churches Automatically Considered 501c3, Italian Chocolate Chip Cheesecake, Solidworks 2018 Exploded View Issues, As I Am Lyrics Hillsong, Storage Finder Website,